I wrapped up my first mini-goal last week! 21 consecutive work days of developing healthy breakfast habits. This was my first mini-goal because it was the most obvious to me. Over the past 3 years, I’ve turned breakfast into a free-for-all feel good festival of junk. A normal (maybe 3 days a week) breakfast was sitting at my desk with a bagel and a latte. The other days I probably had one or the other….or nothing at all.
What I found when I really looked at that “meal” was…600-700 calories and between $6-$8. Weekly, that is almost 2000 extra calories and over $20.00. Monthly…yikes.
Easy for me to see where a change needed to take place!
I made my new habit as easy to succeed in as possible.
- I had to eat breakfast, everyday.
- I had to bring said breakfast from home.
- Breakfast had to be right around 300 calories and under $2.00.
Well, keeping it simple worked and I really do feel like I’ve developed a new habit. I stuck to several staples, keeping those simple too. My favorites included:
- Coffee with skim milk and 1 cup of whole wheat Cheerios with a splash of milk and ½ cup fruit. My two favorites were blueberries or blackberries.
- Coffee with skim milk and 1 Lara Bar. My favorite is Banana Bread. Yum!
- Coffee with skim milk and whole wheat toast with peanut butter and honey
- Coffee with skim milk and 1 pear cut into 4 pieces topped with goal cheese and 2 almost slivers each. (This was my favorite! So delicious!)
I feel really good about the last 21 work days. Some of the benefits that come from developing this habit…
- More $$ in my pocket. Wahoo!
- I felt more awake in the morning, and less groggy as lunch time approached.
- Healthier calories in a healthy serving size. I was always SO full after my old breakfasts…by the time lunch rolled around I wasn’t really hungry, but knew I should probably eat. Now, I am not overly full in the morning and am legitimately hungry when it’s time for lunch!
- I never once craved a bagel and latte, whereas when I was eating it everyday…I felt like I NEEDED a bagel and latte. It is important to have items ready to go at home…or have time for a quick stop at the store in the morning. I brought a couple choices to work and put them in the fridge just in case I left the house without anything.
I am really pleased with the last 21 work days, and the new habit that I feel will become a lifestyle!
Today, I am starting to work toward a new habit, this one is on the other end of my day.
Stay tuned for new updates!